Have you heard the most recent statistic? The flu shot this year has only been 23% effective. Many of those who got the flu shot are still getting sick with the flu.
If you have followed me for any length of time, you already know I am not a big fan of the flu shot. There are a number of reasons, but most importantly, the shot knocks down your immune system just when you need it the most.
There is also much discussion in the media concerning bacteria strains that are antibiotic resistant and new types of “super bugs” and viruses, including the newest “outbreak” of Enterovirus 68. Antibiotics, when not used wisely, also weaken the immune system over time.
When you look at this from a holistic point of view, there are several things to consider:
- If your immune system is strong, you are less likely to get sick even when you are exposed to viruses and bacteria. You can consciously work on building your immune system. Read this blog article for more details.
- Don’t get too caught up in the fear of what you read and hear. Negative thoughts and emotions also hinder your immune system.
- Remember that eating sugary foods lowers your immune system’s resistance for up to five hours. So, if you are going to eat something sweet (whether it is sugar, honey, or fruit), it is better to eat it all at once rather than spread it out during the day!
- Be prepared for illness. Create a natural medicine cabinet so you have healthy remedies on hand to fight viruses, bacteria, stomach bugs, etc. Look for a list of suggestions in this blog article. It is good to have a few options on hand. Some go-to remedies for our family include: Olive Leaf, Thieves Oil, Echinacea, Sambucus, Oregano Oil, and Colloidal Silver. If you want to learn more about these remedies, contact me if you need help or specific products, many of which we carry.
- An easy whole-food remedy is to eat raw minced garlic as soon as you start feeling under the weather. (I am even known to stick whole cloves inside my ears if my ears or throat feel like they are starting to hurt – not too deep of course.)
- If you are sick and need some extra help, get a quick Bio-Energetic Assessment to see what is going on and get a more specific healing remedy.
The good news is that there are many natural ways to boost your immune system. Stay ahead of the game: be conscious of what you put in your body.
Your body is designed to heal itself when you treat it right, but sometimes it needs a little extra help. There may be times when you need medical intervention and antibiotics. If you use them sparingly, antibiotics are more likely to work for you when you need them.
This article was written by Sharon Harmon, founder of Life Design for Health. She has a passion for helping people find their way back to optimum health. Please contact her if you would like to know more. There is a great deal of health-related information in her blog articles and on her website.