It is that time of year again: time to think about healthy school snacks. Here are some ideas to include in your child’s lunch box – all gluten-free and dairy-free:
- Fresh seasonal fruit – mix it up with cut fruit and berries
- Boiled eggs (include a little salt shaker with Celtic or Himalayan salt)
- Trail mix – combination of raw nuts/seeds, coconut flakes, and dried fruit
- Organic apple sauce
- Homemade frozen smoothie (it will be thawed in time for lunch)
- Almond butter and rice crackers
- Organic oranges cut into wedges
- Small container of coconut water
- Cut up organic veggies with hummus
Plan ahead and buy organic whenever possible – pesticides, chemicals, and other toxins accumulate in the body over time. Because of their smaller bodies, the concentration of these toxins is much greater in our children!
Our bodies make over one trillion new cells every 180 days. Before you select and prepare the foods you give your children, consider how many nutrients the food contains. The more nutritious the food, the healthier your child’s body will be. The new cells are only as healthy as the foods and beverages you get into them.
This article was written by Sharon Harmon, founder of Life Design for Health. She has a passion for helping people find their way back to optimum health. Please contact her if you would like to know more. There is a great deal of health-related information in her blog articles and on her website.